Monday, October 15, 2012

DIY Halloween Decorations

Creating your own holiday decor is often much more satisfying than purchasing, and it is usually a bit cheaper. I made a few Halloween decorations this year that I wanted to share.
The first one is a wreath.


This project was a tad time-consuming but it was a fun way to spend time while autumn arrived.
What you will need:
Foam wreath
1-2 yards of orange felt
Fabric pins
Spooky accessory of your choice

I picked up my wreath in the dollar section at Target, this was just a little 7" inch wreath which was a perfect size for the area I planned on hanging it in. I only used about 1 yard of felt for this small wreath.

First thing to do is to create a 3 inch circle template out of cardboard. Use this template to trace circles all over your fabric.

After cutting out the circles, fold them in half twice and stick a fabric pin in the point.


Then you can start placing them on your foam wreath, I started on the outside and worked my way in. It definitely creates a better texture if you place the crimped circles in all different directions.



There is no need to cover the back of wreath, unless you plan on hanging it in the window. To hang my wreath I just pinned a ribbon to the back. The finishing touch is a fun Halloween accessory! I chose a 3 dollar little owl from Michael's, but the possibilities are endless; a crow, a spider, or a witch would all be adorable on this creation. Now enjoy of years to come!



Candy Corn has become my new obsession this year. It is a such a classic, iconic decoration for Halloween I was very excited for this project:


All you need are a few foam cones and colored twine or yarn! 


Just start wrapping your cone with white twine and work your way down to the yellow. I wrapped the twine over it's ends a few times so it would stay secure without securing it, and pinned the last stray end underneath the cone.








No comments:

Post a Comment