Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Global Adventures in the Kitchen

I have personally experienced many funks in my meal ideas and creativity. Recently I have taken the initiative to step out of my cooking comfort-zone and create a few affordable multicultural meals to pull me out of my food funk.

It all started with a curiosity in Gumbo. A quick search online found me an easy and affordable recipe. I headed out to the store with a list of thrilling ingredients. There were a few substitutions I needed to make, but the end result was still delicious.
            Green Gumbo:
1 pound turkey(recipe called for sausage, but I was craving turkey at the time)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons flour
1 chopped onion(I used a white onion)
1 chopped green bell pepper
3 stalks of chopped celery
salt and pepper(add it to taste, I used more pepper than salt)
1 teaspoon spicy paprika(I used about 3 teaspoons)
2 cups of vegetable broth (I used chicken because that is what I had on hand)
1 pound of kale(seems like a lot, but it cooked down and was very tasty)
10 ounce bag of black beans
2 cups of rice
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 jar Thai Kitchen Curry Paste(this stuff is the best, and very spicy. I am sure you can use as little or as much as you would like.)
First thing you should start is your beans, boil them until soft. Also get started on your rice. My favorite type of rice is short-grain. The recipe doesn't call for rice, but I love me some carbs. Once you have your beans and rice started, put the turkey in a warm skillet and cook up with curry and other spices you enjoy. I used a lot of curry and some chili powder. Get a big pot and start warming up the flour and vegetable oil. Put in all the liquids, chop up the veggies and toss those in. Add curry, cooked beans, and turkey.
Put a dollop of rice in a bowl and scoop a healthy serving of gumbo over that! You will be transported to New Orleans in your very own kitchen.

Now let us head over to India and try some spicy rice noodles.
          Curry Noodles
1 green bell pepper cut into thin strips
2 chopped carrots
1 jar Thai Kitchen Curry Paste
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup chicken broth
package of rice noodles
cilantro

Submerge noodles in boiling water. Put a layer of olive oil on a warm skillet. Place a generous amount of curry paste in skillet. Add water, broth, and carrots. Let boil for about ten minutes. Add coconut water, peppers, and soy sauce. After all was said and done, I used up the whole jar of curry. Serve delectable mixture over noodles, top with cilantro, and enjoy a taste-bud explosion!

All this spicy food gave me a hankering for some Hispanic dishes.
I have enjoyed many Carne Asadas, but this was my first attempt at creating this treat.

                  Carne Asada
2 pounds of steak
1 recipe of Mojo
olive oil
salt and pepper
whole wheat tortillas
shredded iceberg lettuce
chopped white onion
1/2 cup Pico De Gallo
2 limes

Marinade steak in Mojo for 1-8 hours. This is a perfect thing to prepare in the morning and enjoy as an evening feast. Grill steak, cut into thin strips, serve on warmed tortilla. If you have a gas stove use this to your advantage and heat tortilla over the flame. Top with Pico De Gallo, lettuce, onion, and sour cream. My boyfriend is a lover of cilantro and cheese, so he added a liberal helping of both. 

Mojo
2 tablespoon minced garlic
1 minced jalepeno or 2 tablespoons canned jalepenos
1 large handful of chopped cilantro
salt and pepper
2 juiced limes
1 juiced orange
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 cup olive oils
The recipe asked for everything to be mashed together with a mortar and pestle. My young kitchen does not contain a mortar and pestle so I just mashed everything together and added the juices.

Pico De Gallo
4 chopped tomatoes
1/2 chopped white onion
2 chopped green onions
1 teaspoon chili powder 
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 juiced lime
1/4 cup olive oil(I only used about 2 tablespoons)
1 tsp salt
Mix all ingredients together. If you have any Pico De Gallo left over after your Carne Asada, it makes and amazing salsa. 

Chiviro is another amazing Hispanic meal.


Chiviro:
1 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons chopped white onion
2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp oregano
3 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon cumin

Mix up meat and ingredients, fry, serve on warmed whole wheat tortilla with sour cream, cilantro, onion, and iceberg lettuce. 

Now a need for greasy Papa John's Pizza caused me to buy up ingredients for a home-made pizza. This is one of my favorite things to make. Pizza is great for a fun date night or even a fun girl's night. Opting for home-made is so much healthier than any pizza you can order in Missoula. It is required to run to the Good Food Store on Russell and Third and pick up Magnificent Pizza Dough by Le Petit Outre. I have recently used this dough to create cheesy bread sticks which are....sinful!

Also, while you are at the Good Food Store, pick up some fresh mint for a refreshing Mojito. 
Home-made pizza needs no instructions, just grab up all your favorite ingredients to top off your unique pizza. I used basil marinara, white cheddar, onions, and green pepper. 

Please use your imagination while trying and creating new cultural meals. Adventure is everywhere, including your kitchen.


No comments:

Post a Comment